Social Media is the Silent Killer of Teenager's Mental Health
Social media is the place for teenagers to go to for anything. Need inspiration? Help? Friends? Fun? Social media is the one that provides it. Like a drug social media clings on teenagers and adolescents and holds them, keeping them addicted. The problem is it is a "silent killer" for your mental health. These platforms that are created for social interaction and outlets for users can turn negative quick. The feeds about cute dogs can turn into feeds of cyberbullies and fake influencers promoting brands for their benefit in an instant.
Around 40% of adolescents use their phones before bed and as well as when they wake up, causing sleep loss, eye straining and drowsiness. Sleep is a very important to teenage mental health development.
A study about social media and mental health said that females are more addicted to social media outlets than males. It also stated that passive activity lead to depression more than active activity. Scrolling carelessly, absorbing every single post and feed overwhelms teenagers, creating stress, anxiety and even depression.
Social comparison is popular among teenagers with the use of social media. Adolescents socially compare their own lives with the ones online, for example an influencer has a super luxurious car and this teenager in question has a beat up greaser. Hopes, dreams, achievements, goals, and looks teenagers socially compare to others, negatively affecting their own mental health and state.
Social Media is one of the best ways to stay connected among other adolescents and creates a sense of need for themselves to dive in. It can help socially inept teenagers talk and socialize with others without the stressfulness of in-person interaction. Finding a common ground for social media use is a great way to still, find the positives in social media and fight the negatives of it as well.
"It had become so consuming to me. It’s what I woke up to and went to sleep to. I was an addict, and it felt like I was seeing things I didn’t want to see, like it was putting things in my head that I didn’t want to care about. I always end up feeling like s*** when I look at Instagram. " is what Selena Gomez stated about social media. Influencers with a vast following many of the times regret or hate having this social influence and spotlight because of the damage it can deal to themselves and others.


Comments
Post a Comment