Breaking the Stigma of Antisocial Personality Disorder
Ever heard of ASPD? It’s likely that you haven’t, and it may affect you without knowing it. Even if you do not have it, a close friend or loved one may have it, and you might not recognize the signs. It may seem scary but fear not, because, after today, you will know what ASPD about, and the awareness that needs to be made.
What is ASPD
ASPD is a mental condition
that can affect adults of all ages. ASPD stands for Antisocial Personality Disorder,
which is commonly known as sociopathy. ASPD is characterized as a mental
disorder where the person who has it lacks remorse or empathy for their own
actions, as well as other's well-being. Often people with ASPD exhibit symptoms
such as violence and aggression, impulsive decisions, dangerous activities.
While children and teenagers cannot be diagnosed with ASPD until they turn 18, signs
such as anger, destructiveness, and depression can be early symptoms of the
disorder. People with ASPD often have difficulties with developing and keeping
relationships, maintaining jobs, and keeping up with good habits. In more
serious cases, they may be involved with theft, physical violence, and other
dangerous or illegal actions.
ASPD in my Life
I
learned about the existence of ASPD at a young age. When I started middle
school, I met a kid named Paul. He did not socialize much with other kids,
choosing to spend most of his time playing on whatever small device he had at
the time. It was only when we got partnered for a school project that we
started talking and eventually became friends.
As I began hanging out with him more and more, I noticed
that he never wanted to try new things and was quick to anger at the littlest
inconveniences or challenges. It always seemed like if things did not go his
way, he could not handle it, and would either break down into violent rages or
hide in his room until the problem went away. As we got older, he never
seemed to change from his old ways, and more and more of his incidents lead my
friends and I to drift away from him until we stopped talking altogether. In
middle school, I did not know of ASPD, or anything about it, other than the
times that Paul mentioned it after a flare-up. I had thought it meant he had
attention issues or depression, but as I would soon learn, it was much more
complicated than I thought.
You or a Loved One may be
Suffering from ASPD
It
is more common than you think. 3.5% or roughly 7 million Americans are known
to be affected by the disorder. That is a lot of people! But despite a
significant amount of the US population having it, the symptoms are not widely
known. Because ASPD varies in severity, many adults may go their whole lives
without getting a diagnosis or treatment, despite obvious and consistent
symptoms. A young man or woman could go most of their life wondering why they
couldn’t hold down a job, or make a relationship work, all because they did not
know about the disorder or its symptoms. As well as those who suffer from the
disorder, the general public has little knowledge of the symptoms of ASPD, and
may not know how to identify it, or where to turn for help.
Some
might argue that applying resources to a mental condition that the public does not
have widespread knowledge of would be a waste. But given the frequency of the
disorder, and the trouble that it can cause for individuals and their
surroundings, it’s safe to say that making the public aware of its existence is
crucial to a better tomorrow.
You Can Help People with ASPD
Comments
Post a Comment