Awareness of ASPD
Intro:
Do
you remember the “quiet kid” at your school, the one who did not socialize with
others, never raised his hand in class, and sat by himself at lunch? Maybe you
were that kid. While most of these kids were just shy or awkward, a few of
those “quiet kids” did more than not socialize. Maybe they would start fights, steal
from the cafeteria, randomly argue and shout with others, and get detentions on
a regular basis. You might have known someone experiencing the early signs of ASPD.
What is ASPD: ASPD
is a mental condition that can affect adults of all ages. ASPD stands for Antisocial
Personality Disorder, which is commonly known as sociopathy. ASPD is
characterized as a mental disorder by deceitfulness and lack of remorse. Often people
with ASPD exhibit symptoms such as violence and aggression, impulsive decisions,
dangerous activities. While children cannot be diagnosed with ASPD until they
turn 18, certain signs and symptoms can still be present in young children and
teenagers alike.
ASPD in my Life:
I
learned about the existence of ASPD at a young age. When I started middle
school, I met a kid named Paul. He did not socialize much with other kids,
choosing to spend most of his time playing on whatever small device he had at
the time. It was only when we got partnered for a school project that we started
talking and eventually became friends.
As I began hanging out with him more and more, I noticed that
he never wanted to try new things and was quick to anger at the littlest inconveniences
or challenges. It always seemed like if things did not go his way, he could not
handle it, and would either break down into violent rages, or hide himself in
his room until the problem went away. As we got older, he never seemed to
change from his old ways, and more and more of his incidents lead my friends and
I to drift away from him, until we stopped talking altogether. In middle school,
I did not know of ASPD, or anything about it, other than the times that Paul mentioned
it after a flare up, but curiosity lead me to research the ins and outs of it.
Could you or a Loved One
be Suffering from ASPD:
It
is more common than you think. 3.5%, or roughly 7 million Americans are known
to be affected by the disorder.
How can you Help People
with ASPD:
Comments
Post a Comment